Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Forbidden Ones

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anir
Gamer

Female Number of posts : 94
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: The Forbidden Ones   Sun May 31, 2009 11:41 am

I don't have much of a story for this one, but I occasionally break out these characters from this to have some fun. Anyway, this is the concept: Once, a long time ago, six brothers committed a horrible sin against the gods and were cursed to roam the universe for all eternity, while carrying a burden in the shape of a demonic ability. And that's basically all I have. It was originally part of a bigger concept, which I abandoned, but I like the six brothers too much to let them die out. I sort of need an idea of a plot for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myfallenfeathers.blogspot.com
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1739
Prestige : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Sun May 31, 2009 11:50 am

If the characters are good enough, the story will basically write itself. You say you like these six brothers, so I'm assuming you've put a lot of time into developing them. They each have distinct personalities, right? If so, all you need to do is get inside each character's head and ask "what do you want" and "who/what stands in the way of you getting it."

Once you figure that out, you've got the basic idea for a story. Every story is about one person or a group of people trying to achieve something, in spite of the obstacles that stand in their way. For example, maybe two or three of the brothers may want this curse removed, while anther may like the power it grants him and wants to use it to take over the world (or maybe something a little less grand). The others may just want to stay out of it altogether. In this case, the brothers will stand in the way of one another and the conflinct amongst themselves will drive the story.

There are a lot of ways this can go, and it all depends on your characters. I'm a strong advocate for character-driven stories. Build the characters and the world will follow naturally. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 am

Well, we can't really help you by creating a plot for you, but I can give you a few questions you can follow in order to further the plot creation process.

First of all, you need to work out the characters a bit more.
1. How long have they lived?
1B. If they have lived a long time, what have they been up to?
2. What are their views on this curse? Are they trying to redeem themselves, or do they seek vengance for example.
3. What did they do, exactly? Where they tricked, forced, or did they know full well what they did?
4. What are the character's plans for the future.

World building is a lot harder. The trick is not to make things overly complicated. No one will thinks less of you if you use the four basic seasons as an indication of time. The sky can be blue, there doesn't have to be more then one sun. Etc. etc..
5. How does the world react to these characters? Does the god's religious order (does it have a religious order?) know of these brothers?
5B. If the brothers have been around for a while, they might have assembled wealth, or taken a seat of power.
5C. Why were the brothers punished in this manner? Why would a god punish them by giving them something that sounds... useful.
6. Have the brothers seperated? Or are they still together? If they split up, who went where, and for what reason.

I could go on. But answering these basic questions should give yourself, and us, a better idea of where you are going with this.

Good luck!

Last edited by CommonGoods on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer

Male Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Sun May 31, 2009 1:53 pm

7. CG pretty much covered the questions I was going to put forward but I'll throw out another one. 6 brothers is a very big family are their parents still around. I'm guessing they're likely to have different relationships some jealous of the others as they were originally the family favourite due to been the first born or the younger ones depending on the older brothers etc.

8. Is it just a coincidence they have no sisters?

9. If they're roaming the universe does that mean they're not aware of each others presence and how do they travel?

10. If there are several gods who are they and what are peoples motivations for believing/ worshipping them. Is there some kind of religous conflict with some worshipping a few gods and neglecting others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gloom
Celestial Gamer

Female Number of posts : 1886
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:46 am

My suggestion is your world building, sometimes it takes a world around your characters to give them a destination and meaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 am

V ** WARNING: RANT IMPENDING ** V

Aye, I would say that a story driven by the characters is indeed the best way to go; but one thing that has a lot to do with character development (same goes for all of us) is setting. The setting, in this case is the world. The word, of course, can refer to both local (town where the brothers grew up), and distant (the rest of the world). Making sure you have some good details of that and knowing the world you've created, and making it interesting will suck the readers in and get them interested in everything these characters do to alter the world.

Now, that said, it can be easy to fall into 'analysis paralysis'. The question "where do I stop worldbuilding?" doesn't always have a clear answer. A quick-and-dirty rule is that, once you have enough world info to start writing the tale, start writing the tale. Smile Later on, you can expand on your world if you want, make it broader and create other stories within it.

I personally am guilty of doing far too much worldbuilding for my own good sometimes. Very Happy I have reams of notes for one of my worlds. So, everyone's free to take or leave my advice! Really, we all have slightly different styles; and no one of them is 'right' or 'wrong'. As long as a substantial subset of the human race likes your writing, it's good.

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpcentral.forum-motion.com
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 am

I've seen Demetrius in action and he's pretty badass. What with the morphing claws that can cut through anything.

To answer the questions that Moose pulled out this is what I'd have to say.

What do I want? To kill, to maim, to burn, to smell the fresh crimson blood of my enemies, to feel their bones grinding under my grip, to ear the screams of impending doom, and to watch this world burn under my ever vigilant eye.

Who stands in my way? EVERYONE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1739
Prestige : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:20 am

lol, Db. I ummm... I guess that answers what he wants and who stands in his way. Wink But that's just the beginning. The next logical thing to ask is "why." Why does he want to destroy everyone and everything? And why is everyone standing in his way?

I mean, if he had a good reason for wanting to destroy the world, someone out there would feel the same way about it, right? If he wants to destroy the world because it's corrupt and unfair, he should have no problem finding someone to help out. That person would want to help him destroy the world and therefore become an ally and be taken off the "who stands in your way" list.

But if he wants to destroy the world for selfish reasons, he'll probably be all alone, unless he can find equally selfish people. Furthermore, we have to wonder what that selfish reason is. Maybe his parents died and he's angry about it. Maybe his hometown was wiped out by bandits. Maybe his girlfriend dumped him. I don't know. Then, you segway into worldbuilding by asking yourself if these problems are common in your world. What killed his parents; war, sickness, famine, or someting more 'normal'? Are bandit attacks commonplace? If so, why; is the king/government not protecting its citizens properly; is there a government at all; maybe his parents were bandits, his hometown was a bandit camp, and they all got wiped out by soldiers? Or why did his girlfriend dump him and why did he take it seriously enough to want to destroy the world? Maybe she was some kind of goddess and the most beautiful woman in the universe, so he's really pissed off that he can't be with her anymore and wants to destroy the world because everyone worships her, so destroying them is like exacting revenge on her.

Character building and wordbuilding are closely intertwined. Just by asking "why" one character is the way he is, I went through local setting (his hometown) as well as global setting (the governement, the monarchy, the military, and even religion), and there are countless other ways these questions could have been answered. This isn't something you can do by sitting down and focusing on one aspect. (I mean it's never worked for me that way, but you might be different.) Just ask questions, make logical answers, and then ask questions about your answers. It may seem like a never-ending chain, but as you go along, you'll keep filling in the blanks and eventually have enough to start writing. And once you reach that point, START WRITING. That's the most important step.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Here are a couple of posts between Anir and myself. Anir is Demetrius, and I'm the terrified NPC he's about to kill.

Demetrius bounded forward, not caring to notice if Nergal followed him or not. Landing just below the barrel of the tank, he sliced a blade against it, testing to see if he could puncture it. It appeared he could. Grinning fiendishly, he leapt up onto the top and wrenched the cover off with a scream of metal against metal.

"Hello," he said sweetly to the terrified soldier inside. "Now be a good boy and scream, m'kay?"

The soldier shouted back at the thing, aiming his gun,

"I'll scream ya to hell you bastard!"

He yelled as he emptied his rifle's clip into the thing, then it was empty and the daemon remained, his eyes widened in terror.

He stopped smiling. ****, this was going to be boring. Grabbing the soldier by the front of his uniform, he hauled him out of the tank and killed him quickly, licking the blood from his fingers when he was through. Sticking his head down into the hole the soldier had left, he barely flinched as a bullet collided with his head.

"Looks like there's another mouse down here. Maybe you'll scream for me."

-RPG Lounge, page 11

I'm just taking a guess that maybe Demetrius is just there to enjoy it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anir
Gamer

Female Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah, Demetrius doesn't care either way as long as he gets to enjoy his immortality. Mainly by killing people. Some of the others want to get the curse removed, but some like the curse. thanks for all the suggestions, by the way, I think it'll really help out. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myfallenfeathers.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Ones   

Back to top Go down

The Forbidden Ones
Page 1 of 1