Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Sandbox

Go down 
AuthorMessage
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1739
Prestige : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:12 am

Okay, okay, I had this idea. It's been brewing for a while and it's finally reached critical mass, so I think I'm ready to unleash it on the unsuspecting masses of RP Central. It's a persistent world, slightly futuristic (I was thinking 2060s or 70s) and set in an urban environment, with some fantasy/scifi elements. I won't go into details about the game itself (you'll just have to wait and see Smile) but I wanted to ask about the format I'm planning to use.

Basically, I was going for a sandbox-style game. It all takes place in one city and players will have many different races/species to choose from. I'll make sure the races, the city, the technology, the world, etc, etc, are all clearly defined, then players are free to do as they please. It won't have quests, like Ardus, nor will it have an obvious goal or objective like most standalone games. What happens in the world is based solely on player interaction. I may throw in a curveball every once in a while, such as writing an event that affects the entire city so players will have to react (or not react if your char lives under a rock), but other than that, the players will be the ones keeping the game interesting, not me. It's a very hands-off approach to GM'ing.

I'm basically making a world and letting you guys live in it and do as you please. There will be rules, and just like RL you can break those rules, and just like RL there will be consequences (i.e. your char may end up in jail or be hunted by the government or whatever). So, my question is, would anyone be interested in a game like this? Do you think such a game would remain active without GM interference?

Your friend, your neighbor, your nemesis,
- A. Mouse
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:23 am

An idea that definitely appeals to me very much on the surface! Lots of player freedom within clearly-defined boundaries. I like the setting, too; near-future and urban, which will probably give us a cyberpunk feel (which is great!).

The only concern I'd have is with the logistics of it; its likely that in a place where player creativity is free to roam, we'd have a lot of ideas and situations coming up, and it might turn into a bit of chaos.

This could be regulated by requiring announcements in discussion of certain events that a player will be handling; and through the labeling of posts for organization. For instance, announcing current location of your character in boldface so that the readers know where he or she is at that particular point in time.

Other than that, I think this could fly. Smile

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpcentral.forum-motion.com
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:44 am

Teele wrote:
The only concern I'd have is with the logistics of it; its likely that in a place where player creativity is free to roam, we'd have a lot of ideas and situations coming up, and it might turn into a bit of chaos.
My hope is that the 'good' chars will keep the 'bad' chars in check. We can't all be villains, right? And, if all else fails, the city does have a police force and one heck of a surveillance system. Big Brother will be watching. Like i said, players are free to do as they want, but there will be consequences. It'll make a little more sense once I explain exactly what kind of city this is. Hint: we're not all here by choice. Wink

Teele wrote:
...For instance, announcing current location of your character in boldface so that the readers know where he or she is at that particular point in time.

Actually, I was going to have different threads for different parts of the city. For example, if you're in Central Park, there would be a thread for that, whereas if you're down by the docks, there's a separate thread for that. It's similar to how New Avarus City had different threads for the different bars. I've already thought up about five or six districts where players can post and interact. As the game grows, I may add more. Also, I'll throw in special events every now and then: there may be a festival in the park or a big gang fight in the projects that players can run to, run from, or see on the news.

The main problem I see with this approach is that a player entering a new area may not know what's going on if he/she hasn't been keeping up. The easiest way to address this would be to release some sort of weekly editorial that describes major happenings in the city, so even if you've been away from a certain location for a while, you'll know what's going on. This would also make it easier for new players to jump in; they won't have to ask for an update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 am

Good point; and I like the idea of different threads for different areas of the city. I think it's definitely worth an honest try, and I'd jump in with a character (or three, knowing me Razz) of my own. We'll see what a few of the other folks think of the idea, and then let you get your info together, but I'm all for it. Smile

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Sounds kind of like the Sims, only RC-style Razz

I really like the idea, personally. It sounds really well thought out, and very structured. It might need a bit of a trial period to see exactly how it will all work (I get the feeling storylines and plots will pop up whether intended or not, and could result in clashes of creativty ... sort of what Teele was saying I suppose) but I'd definitely be up for joining Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxee
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:50 pm

I like the idea, Mouse. Especially that now and again you'd throw in a city-wide situation for everyone to react to. It's not very different from how we played Phoenix Colony, a game I ran on WF.org.

I found it was good to post a daily or every other day thing with the weather conditions, time, and anything else pertinent. Feel free to adapt that to your purposes.

Lost in this wonderful misery.
"A Nightmare to Remember" -Dream Theater

The hall smelled like a bouquet of flowers, dipped in blood.
~The Mouse GM narrating the latest Ardus quest
Like heavy rain they fell louder and louder as the forces moved, chain and plate clanged and shifted with pumping muscle. ~Ketka, Gloom's character in Ardus
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:51 pm

@ Teele and Blossom:
I'm hoping there won't be too many 'clashes of creativity'. I find that a lot of those clashes come from people pulling insane magical crap out of nowhere -- see "god-moding" -- and I hope to keep that out of this game as much as possible. Although the races have special abilities, there's no 'magic' per say, and the abilities are all clearly defined. I plan to sit down and carefully think through the strengths and weaknesses of each race and ability to keep us all on a level playing field.

What you all do on that playing field is where the creativity comes in. I hope to see lots of plots and storylines playing out at once. It can be a little chaotic and characters will probably get in the way of one another's schemes from time to time, either on purpose or by accident, but that's half the fun of it. The world is a stage and we're all actors in it. No stars, just a crowd of extras bumping into one another. Razz

@ Foxee:
I've heard of Phoenix Colony but don't really know much about it. (It was before my time, lol. I'm still an RP newbie. Embarassed) But I've only heard good things about it, so if you say my idea is similar to Phoenix Colony, I say "awesome, I must be on the right track." Very Happy

And thanks for the tip. Keeping the time synchronized is something I've been pondering lately. With multiple threads, I knew I'd have to find a way to keep them all relatively close timewise. I was thinking whichever thread is receiving the most activity (AKA whichever part of the city has the most active players in it) will be used to set the pace for the others. I'll post the time and weather from that thread in a central Announcements thread, for players in other parts of the city to follow.

@ Everyone:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've got a lot of stuff in my head and will start writing it all down ASAP. The success or failure of this is very dependent on player interest, so knowing you're all interested definitely makes me more hyped to do this. Expect to hear more in the future. Things will probably be nearing completion this holiday season (November or December, Jan. 2010 at the latest). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow Dragon
Master Gamer

Number of posts : 596
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Like the others have said, it sounds like a good idea. I look forward to it Mouse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxee
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Quote :
With multiple threads, I knew I'd have to find a way to keep them all relatively close timewise. I was thinking whichever thread is receiving the most activity (AKA whichever part of the city has the most active players in it) will be used to set the pace for the others. I'll post the time and weather from that thread in a central Announcements thread, for players in other parts of the city to follow.
Brilliant!

I'm looking forward to seeing you roll this game out.

Lost in this wonderful misery.
"A Nightmare to Remember" -Dream Theater

The hall smelled like a bouquet of flowers, dipped in blood.
~The Mouse GM narrating the latest Ardus quest
Like heavy rain they fell louder and louder as the forces moved, chain and plate clanged and shifted with pumping muscle. ~Ketka, Gloom's character in Ardus
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Me too!! In fact, I'm all excited about it now. Very Happy I have an idea for a character, but I'll have to see what sort of info you get happening before I make the choice. Smile

Whenever you want a PW subforum, lemme know.

Back to top Go down
chad.sims2
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1030
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Blossom wrote:
Sounds kind of like the Sims, only RC-style Razz

Did you call Blossom?? jocolor

I like the idea, reminds me of the way pheonix colony started, lots and lots of fredom, in someways you'll have more it sounds, in others you may have less freedom, still I like having more creative leeway.

Also already got an idea for an excentric char since you mentioned 'big brothers watching' lol. Very Happy but I can't give away to much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anir
Gamer

Female Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 am

Ooh, this sounds fun! I have an idea for a character, but I'd like to know the rules before I go forward on development.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myfallenfeathers.blogspot.com
Shadow Dragon
Master Gamer

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 am

I also have a character in mind for this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sandbox   

Back to top Go down

The Sandbox
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Writings :: Worldbuilding-
Jump to: