Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

"whatcha doing?" type thingie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fluxhavok
Super Gamer

Male Number of posts : 324
Prestige : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Member how on "the site that shall not be named" they had that feature where you could click on someone's name and find out what their looking at and how long they've been idle and whatnot? Can we do that here? I don't know how forums work or if we'd have to shell out cash for something like that.

I just thought it was neat to be able to see if someone was about to post or not, or to know if someone had been idle for a while and was obviously away from computer, or busy looking at something else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, as handy as that is, I'd probably need to actually HAVE the PHP code available to me to make that happen; what you see is what you get. It's for reasons like this I'm seriously considering moving us over to my personal domain, where I'm playing around with a raw implementation of the forum software used to build this site. Moving there would mean we own everything; the databases, the code, everything. And I could change and add junk at will wherever I wanted.

But! There are a couple tips you can use to see if somebody's on. If you go to the Statistics tab when viewing their profile, you can see what their last action was. Also, people only show up in the 'Who's Online' list if they've done something in the last five minutes. Not as great as an actual 'whatcha doing' thinger, but helps slightly. Razz

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpcentral.forum-motion.com
Gloom
Celestial Gamer

Female Number of posts : 1886
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm

hey that was good for RPG's on the "unnamable forums" you could figure out if they were ready to post or just fooling around LOL it made my life easier anyway
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fluxhavok
Super Gamer

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:14 pm

@teele-

I understood the last sentence in the first paragraph, and all of the second one. Very Happy It's not that big a deal, we don't need to switch sites over it. Just thought i'd suggest it in hopes that it was an easy task to accomplish. Thanks for answerin', brah.

Oh, and thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:31 pm

No probs, dude! That alone isn't quite the only reason I wanna switch over, but hey. Very Happy

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Switching is tempting, though...Very Happy

Lost in this wonderful misery.
"A Nightmare to Remember" -Dream Theater

The hall smelled like a bouquet of flowers, dipped in blood.
~The Mouse GM narrating the latest Ardus quest
Like heavy rain they fell louder and louder as the forces moved, chain and plate clanged and shifted with pumping muscle. ~Ketka, Gloom's character in Ardus
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
Fluxhavok
Super Gamer

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 pm

i wouldn't mind it. seems like i good idea if you would have more creative control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm

We'll see how it rolls. A move would constitute both major pros and one very major con. I'm slowly hacking on the potential new spot. There'll be lots of warning if we ever actually go through with it though. Smile

Back to top Go down
no_more_skrbblz
Master Gamer

Male Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm

when i first read this title, i thought twitter... thank goodness i was wrong...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "whatcha doing?" type thingie   

Back to top Go down

"whatcha doing?" type thingie
Page 1 of 1