Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Special Announcement

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Teele
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Special Announcement   Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Hey there, everyone!

Well, we've been at this location coming on about eight months now, I think, and it has served us very well indeed. We've had a lot of adventures through this site, and I intend that they don't stop.

However! I feel that this has expended a little bit beyond a hobby; this place has become rather important to me, and I enjoy seeing it become the best that it can be. For this reason, I'm currently beginning to implement a new site, built on my own Web space, that we will eventually transition over to. This has several benefits, including the following:

- We own the site, the databases, the posts, the threads, the whole dang thing (possibly the biggest benefit).
- Simplified and advanced permission control; things that make my life a LOT easier as an admin.
- No subjugation to the arbitrary will of the people who own Forumotion (from which our current site is provided). This means there are no random limits to what we can post or do.
- Complete customization. If we want a feature, I have only to go find it and add it on...or hack it myself (less-glamorous option, but hey).
- Better built-in features: User control panels that make sense, bookmarks, individual post links, advanced moderation control, etc.

There are a couple disadvantages of such a move, however. One big one, and several smaller ones:
- The Big One: We can't take any of our old-site posts with us. There is no way to scour the database because Forumotion essentially owns it (yay for fine print). We can, however, leave the old site up as a reference and an archive. So the posts are not lost forever, we just have to come back here now and then to see 'em (there should be less and less of this as time goes on).
- It'll be a bit of work to switch over; for all of us. For games that are running, the intros would have to be reposted on the new side, along with each person's character profile (ideally). I'd like to do the same for Ardus. Also, with Ardus, I'd like each member to bring along their Anthologies to the new site.

So, there you have it. There's still a LOT of work to do on the new site before we make the move, but I'm slowly getting it in order. The time frame for moving over will definitely be a few weeks at best. If you guys would like an early-bird look as to what the New Site will look like, click here. Smile If you do join up as members, please hold off on posting much more than a member intro until I get things more in order. Thanks all! Let me know what you think. Smile

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpcentral.forum-motion.com
Foxee
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Treeeemendous! I'm really excited that we're getting a new home that is, even more so than this one, ours! That's all we've wanted since starting this place...a place to play RPG's to our hearts content.

WTG, Teele! And I'll do my best to do my bit, count me in. Smile

Lost in this wonderful misery.
"A Nightmare to Remember" -Dream Theater

The hall smelled like a bouquet of flowers, dipped in blood.
~The Mouse GM narrating the latest Ardus quest
Like heavy rain they fell louder and louder as the forces moved, chain and plate clanged and shifted with pumping muscle. ~Ketka, Gloom's character in Ardus
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 2453
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Awesome, count me in on the join up Teele, I think I'm gonna be member #4... I think?

EDIT: Nope I'm awesome number three. Cool

Last edited by Deathblade on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow Dragon
Master Gamer

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Sounds great, can't wait for the big move. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 1739
Prestige : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Sweet. I can already think of an awesome new game that I can launch as soon as we get there. [/firstshamelessplugforthenewsitewooooohooooo!!]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blossom
Celestial Gamer

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:12 am

Looks beautiful, Teele, I love the colour scheme Smile Looking forward to the move!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fayte
Master Gamer

Female Number of posts : 722
Prestige : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:04 am

Cool beans. And kudos for all the hard work you have been putting in Teele. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer

Male Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 am

I just found another reason to love this site, its actually works on my schools comp, for some reason this site takes so long to load on the school comps... don't know why, no one else is using the computers, I'm the only one in the room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 am

Very Happy Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! School might be heavy on me this month, but I'll do my best to keep up with everything I have to do, both here and on the new site.

Looking forward to the object of the plugging, Mouse! Very Happy

Song Quote of the Arbitrary Time Period: "I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down, and all my best creations burning to the ground. The thought of starting over leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again another one that got away. I wither and render myself helpless; I give in and everything is clear; I breakdown and let the story guide me; I wither and give myself away."
Back to top Go down
Gloom
Celestial Gamer

Female Number of posts : 1886
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 pm

That's great Teele you've worked really hard on this and I look forwards to the big move!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:52 am

Ooo-kay, so, the site has just recovered from a rather long silence due to forumotion's lossitude. I doubt I'm the only one who's a little frustrated by this, so I'm going to be moving the schedule for the move forward a little. I'll be putting up the rest of what we need for viable habitation, and then either tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to start getting you guys to help me move us over full-time.

If all goes well, perhaps we can be using the new site full-time at the beginning of next week. Smile

Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Alright, folks! Here it begins. I'm gonna try and get the most of us moved and set to go this weekend. Mouse has indicated an interest in taking advantage of the slow spot to move the Ardus quest over to the new site, and so we shall! I'm gonna need a bit of help from all you guys for this, and here's how:

1. Everyone: Please copy over your Ardus character profiles to the new site. The thread lives here.

2. GMs: (Blossom, Jade, and Gloom) please repost your game intros at the new site in the SA Games forum here, along with any GM character profiles. Everyone: Once this is done, please repost your character profiles in the threads for their correct game.

3. Anyone Who Has Contributed to Ardus World Info: Please repost your information on the appropriate threads in Ardus' new World Info subforum (url=http://www.rpcentral.theclaybox.com/viewforum.php?f=24]here[/url])

4. Everyone: Get on the General Chat forum (url=http://www.rpcentral.theclaybox.com/viewforum.php?f=16]here[/url]) and the Word Games forum (url=http://www.rpcentral.theclaybox.com/viewforum.php?f=14]here[/url]) and get some of our old favorite threads started!

Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:29 am

Okee, folks! I'm about to start locking down This The Old Forum. It shall remain as an archive for us, but I'll be locking all the forums so no new posts can come in here. I shall also be posting a note in every forum that says "We Have Moved." I'll save the locking down of the actual game threads until everyone has copied over all their info and character sheets.

Farewell to the old RC, and in with the new!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Special Announcement   

Back to top Go down

Special Announcement
Page 1 of 1